Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Mar 5, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #7,261 of 11,833
I totally agree. I would never have ordered the Euforia if I didn't find thst combo.

I am going to tempt you one more time. 
bigsmile_face.gif

When you have recovered from your euphoria, you may get a pair of Valvo or Telefunken EL12. I'm going to point you to 2 options that will hardly hurt your wallet. 
wink_face.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EL12-375-VALVO-NOS-BOXED-VALVE-TUBE-/311569773322?hash=item488b01730a:g:fBEAAOSwMORW6-HU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-EL12-power-tubes-TELEFUNKEN-NOS-EL-12-/311806841472?hash=item489922d280:g:l1IAAOSw241Ygz82

... because EL3N / EL12 sounds lovely too (midrange and subbass intoxication) and EL12N / EL12 will introduce a more articulate tone.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #7,262 of 11,833
Morning. Chatham 6AS7G and stock Tung Sol 6SN7GTB are doing a great job with this fellar today. These new Impulse and Blue Note pressings are gorgeous.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #7,263 of 11,833
Hmm, the Sylvania 6SN7WGT are actually doing a better job, but feel lacking in bass weight compared to the TSs. Nothing that a slight tweak to my sub can't sort out. The Sylvanias are a very nice sweet sounding tube.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #7,264 of 11,833
Morning. Chatham 6AS7G and stock Tung Sol 6SN7GTB are doing a great job with this fellar today. These new Impulse and Blue Note pressings are gorgeous.

Hmm, the Sylvania 6SN7WGT are actually doing a better job, but feel lacking in bass weight compared to the TSs. Nothing that a slight tweak to my sub can't sort out. The Sylvanias are a very nice sweet sounding tube.

Picking all the right tubes without costing an arm and a leg Rich. Good choice. Yes the TS 6sn7gtb has some bass punch.

Nothing like spinning the occasional vinyl. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #7,265 of 11,833
EL12N and EL12

This is the first time that a tube perform equally well as both drivers and powers in Elise. Not only does it perform well but the tone is like none I've heard before. It even perform better than my favorite power tubes - TS 5998 and Bendix 6080wb.

All combinations seems to be working very well. Such as:-

EL11 and EL12
EL11 and EL12N
EL12N and EL12
EL12 and EL12
EL11 and EL12 Spez
and even with quad EL11 / EL12 as powers - reference @HOWIE13 

However equally frustrating is the fact that for some, these tubes can produce the annoying hum and feedback. Some have perfect operating conditions, such as @hypnos1 and @pctazhp.

When it is working well with no hum, the sonic qualities of these tubes are absolutely captivating. Clarity, details, soundstage, treble extensions, midrange supremacy, bass factory, precise imaging and instruments placement, it's all there. I would categorize these tubes as on the slight bright side of neutral, which is how I like it. Warm and lushness is still there but the tone is like a clear spring day. These tubes might have the same data specs as EL3N but the tone is quite different. It is several degrees clearer and more articulate than EL3N. You get the same BIG presence that draws you into the performers' stage. 

It's no surprise that the last 100 posts have been mainly devoted to EL11, EL12, EL12N and EL12 Spez....... and from the majority of Elise owners here. It is almost a unanimous decisions by everyone... I said 'almost'. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #7,266 of 11,833

Picking all the right tubes without costing an arm and a leg Rich. Good choice. Yes the TS 6sn7gtb has some bass punch.

Nothing like spinning the occasional vinyl. 

I'm playing more and more vinyl at the moment, because it just sounds so lovely. I've gone for sweet sounding cartridge and phono stage, and together with Elise/amp/speakers, it's a delightful combination. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #7,267 of 11,833

Nothing against your father intended at all - I also get a variety of strange recations to tubes, headphone costs, etc. from 'normal people' on occasion. And that's great for the Elise to get an endorsement from a concert master, even just using the PSVane + Valvo 6080's, right?

Actually it was the PSVanes driving the Svetlana 6H13C 
smile.gif
 But as I implied before, he never was that interested in recordings and audio equipment, he had other foci he prioritized.
The "best" headphone setup he had heard before was my Mojo/Oppo PM-3 - combination, he back then also was very impressed with. However during that session he only listened to his beloved "Eagles" and things like that... The Oppo PM-3s has a special place in my heart, but as much as I love them as closed cans, I instantly knew that - regarding classical music - I shouldn´t even bother trying to impress/convince him using them.

Last time, he was curious and also asked me to play the same DSD/Patricia Barber - recording over the Mojo/PM-3....he stopped listening after 10 seconds, the result was unambiguous...

I think it´s safe to say that the Elise/HD800 - setup blew him away (with high-quality recordings) all in all.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #7,269 of 11,833
  Data Sheet UPDATED
http://www.head-fi.org/t/813488/feliks-audio-elise-impressions-thread-a-new-start-please-read-first-post-for-summary/7215#post_13312198

Note: If PC would you like to Pin it to the first page, please do it

Done. Great work and post. Thanks so much ))))

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #7,270 of 11,833
Thank you anyway. We are hear to help and be helped

Someone could teach HOW to find TOTAL "SAFE Vf and If" for ELISE, it would be nice for GOOD MANNERS in this rolling and pin it to the first page as well
for Elise it is between 6,8 and 7 Maximum Total Current

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #7,271 of 11,833
  EL12N and EL12

When it is working well with no hum, the sonic qualities of these tubes are absolutely captivating. Clarity, details, soundstage, treble extensions, midrange supremacy, bass factory, precise imaging and instruments placement, it's all there. I would categorize these tubes as on the slight bright side of neutral, which is how I like it. Warm and lushness is still there but the tone is like a clear spring day. These tubes might have the same data specs as EL3N but the tone is quite different. It is several degrees clearer and more articulate than EL3N. You get the same BIG presence that draws you into the performers' stage.   

Your description is entirely consistent with my experience. Thanks for all your hard work on describing different combos. Is this your last one? Did you save this as the best for last? Or are there more to come in your current series???

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #7,273 of 11,833
What about Siemens EL12? Are they in any way inferior?

I have Siemens EL12 ST.which I usually use for power Someone said they are made by someone else, but don't remember who said it or who they are made by.

They are totally hum free in my system, and combined with EL11 drivers (round plate), are the best I have achieved with Elise. But no one ever listens to me, so probably you shouldn't either
jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #7,274 of 11,833
Okay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back